Issuing a refund in Tithely is just a few quick steps! Use the quick menu below to see more information on how to process Credit or Debit/ACH refunds.
If you are looking to refund a Tithely Pay purchase, please view this article.
Admins cannot refund more than 5 donations in a 24 hour period. If you need to refund more than 5 donations please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
User Permissions needed to access Giving
Account Owner, Admin, or Limited Access with access granted to the Giving Product. If you have additional questions please reference this article.
How to Issue a Credit Card Refund to a Donor
Login to your Tithely account.
Select Giving on the left-hand menu.
Select Transactions from the Giving menu.
Locate the transaction you need to refund in your transactions list. You can use the Search function to quickly search the donors name or email address and Click into the transaction.
A Details card will open outlining all the details of the transaction. If the transaction is within 90 days you will see a Refund button along the bottom. Click the Refund button.
Click the button to Issue Refund for $X.XX
- Refunds can only be issued for transactions within 90 days of the transaction date. There is no way to offer partial refunds.
- Once a refund has been issued, it will take 7-10 business days for the funds to be returned to the donor's account.
All bank (ACH) transactions have to be refunded by the Tithely team.
Bank donations that were given over 90 days ago cannot be refunded.
If you have an ACH account that needs to be refunded, please get in touch with our support team.
What Are Adjustments?
While viewing a bank deposit that includes a recent refund, you will notice a Total Adjustments line. The Total Adjustments line is the fees that were paid back to your church by Tithely after a refund has been made.
- A donor donates to your church $100.00 and covers the fees making the total gift $103.20.
Note: Adjustments occur regardless of whether the donor covers the fees.
- The donor requests a refund for the $103.20.
- One of two scenarios takes place:
- The money was in transit when the refund took place and the funds were never deposited into the church's bank.
- The money was deposited into the church's bank and Tithely will deduct the funds from a future deposit.
Note: This could result in a debit from the church's bank account if a future deposit is less than the amount of the refund.
- The donor is refunded $103.20
- $3.20 is deposited by Tithely into the church's account to cover the transaction fees.
Note: the $3.20 is the total adjustment in this scenario.
This results in a Net of $3.20 for the church and will be reflected as an Adjustment on your deposit report.
You are now able to perform refunds and understand what the adjustment line is on your bank deposit report. If you have any further questions please reach out to our support team.