In this guide, we'll go over configuring Tithe.ly to push transactions over to Planning Center (aka PCO).
Before we begin, here are a few FAQ's we'd like to clear up:
- What does the integration do? The integration pushes transactions made in Tithe.ly over to Planning Center Giving. Transactions are linked to donors who match in Tithe.ly and Planning Center People.
- When does the sync occur? A new batch is created in Planning Center Giving whenever a deposit is made. The transactions that made up the deposit will be pushed over to the new batch.
- What happens when there is no matching donor? A new person will be created in Planning Center People and the transaction will be linked to the new person. Refer to Planning Center's help on how to handle duplicate people if you identify the new person to be a duplicate of another person in Planning Center (with a different email address).
- Why do I need Planning Center Giving? Planning Center tracks all donations in it's Giving add-on regardless of source. There is no other place to put donation history in Planning Center.
To start, you'll need to have the Planning Center Giving module and have completed the setup. You may be asked to setup a Stripe account during the setup. This is a requirement of Planning Center Giving, but it is free and you don't have to use it.
How to setup your integration:
- Ensure that you have setup your funds in Planning Center.
- In Giving, click Manage>Funds.
- Add any funds here that you would like to see as giving types in Tithe.ly (or matching your existing giving types)
- Once your funds are setup you can go here and generate your Personal Access Tokens. You'll need this in order for Tithe.ly to connect to your PCO account.
- In a new tab, log into your Tithe.ly admin dashboard and go to My Churches>Edit Organization>Integrations
- Select Planning Center then copy and paste your tokens from Planning Center into their respective fields, then click the Configure button.
- Check your Giving Types to ensure the Integration IDs are set to values other than 0 and your desired funds are set to active
You're all set! Going forward, a new batch will be created in PCO Giving whenever a new deposit is paid out, allowing you to quickly audit both platforms to ensure they are matching.
Sometimes donor's donations won't flow over autoamticaly from Tithe.ly to Planning Center! This may mean that the ID associated with the donor in both PCO and Tithe.ly doesn't match! If this is the case you can follow these steps to update that ID:
- The first step here is to pull your TIthe.ly account and the PCO account up.
2. Within Tithe.ly, go to My Churches > Edit Organization > Integrations > Donor Matching.
3. In PCO, go to Giving > People. (Best if you go to People specifically like this.
Then in both systems search for your donor. I tend to just use a last name.
4. Then in TIthe.ly, after clicking Find Donors, you will see an integration ID that is listed for that donor.
5. In PCO, pull up the donor's profile. First check to make sure each email address is matched and the names match.
6. Then look to the top URL at PCO. In that URL it will say "ACXXXXXX" with those X's being a set of number. You will need to copy and paste those numbers to the TIthe.ly page where it says the Donor ID.
7. Then hit Save on the TIthe.ly side. If the ID is updated, this should fix the problem. If the ID was actually the same, we need to take a deeper look!If you're unable to mirror this process please just reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org :)
*We recommend that you audit integrations on a bi-weekly basis to ensure that everything is working accordingly and no donations are incorrectly syncing